Memory and resistance

"We should find a new way to tell, so that we might finally say something else." Jean-luc Godard


Return to Paris

17 Septembre

Although I rose early, I missed the Toulouse-Lyon TGV. So, I decided to head back to Paris. During the past few days I though about my first images from Paris. I'm writing this from Jardin du Luxembourg, again at sundown.

The weather is perfect - low 60's, clear sky, few clouds by the horizon, light breeze. It's a bit like the warm smile on a friend's face after being away for a while.

The sun is warm. I dip my toes in the fountain.

Musee d'Orsay. Mary Cassat's 'Jeune fille au jardin, Henri Edmund Cross' 'Iles d'Or', and Paul Signac's 'Le chateau des Papes' were thoughful, moving, and breathtaking.

On the second floor of the Musee Rodin, I could see the courtyard. A small boy named Toto was running to the call of his parents.


Italian boy from Rodin window



Earlier that day, I toured the grounds of the Louvre.


Louve courtyard


Louve and pyramid



There's a scene in Godard's 'In Praise of Love' where Edgar and Elle are walking by Pont Neuf. Spotting a plaque on the bridge, Elle says she doesn't like how it's phrased. She responds: "... Killed by the Germans. It shouldn't say that." It took a bit of time, but eventually I found it.


Rene Revel


While unplanned, few things could have been more rewarding than a return to Paris.

0 Responses to “Return to Paris”

Post a Comment

Search

Links

  • Eloge de l'amour
  • C Theory
  • Le Monde
  • Jean-Pierre Gorin (video)


  • Share on Facebook





XML